If you feel like you were forced to pivot your life this year, I encourage you to see this as a new direction you may not have considered before. Give it your all and see where it takes you.
Talking about 2020 is enough to make most of us want to curl up in the fetal position until the year is over. Why on earth would we want to reflect on a year that was synonymous with loss, uncertainty, and disruption? Because loss often goes hand-in-hand with beautiful and unexpected gains.
In this special end-of-the-year episode, Britt talks about how this year impacted our enthusiasm and what we can take with us into 2021.
As the year draws to a close, many of us are falling into the trap of thinking 2021 will automatically be better. This fragile “I’ll be happy when…” mindset not only puts pressure on us but also creates a host of unrealistic expectations. The reality is that we cannot know that a new year will signal a turning tide. So rather than putting all of our happiness eggs in one basket, we should instead use our 2020 experience as a foundation for meaningful and positive change.
In this episode, Britt talks about the hardships many of us have faced when it comes to our enthusiasm this year. We have had to fight distraction, fear, depression, and anxiety to keep doing what we love. She pays respect to the many incredible women she interviewed on the show who had the courage to share how they kept going during this turbulent year.
Britt brings insights from her popular blog post, Change Your Life Direction in 3 Difficult Steps, and tips on how to use these steps to appreciate new paths you have been pushed to take. Britt also shares a few prompts to help you identify your 2020 gains.
The definition of “20/20 hindsight” is: The full knowledge and complete understanding that one has about an event only after it has happened. Take a moment to explore this idea of “hindsight is 20/20” so you don’t forget to look back and learn from your experiences before you move on.
In this episode, Britt shares:
- Why she is talking about 2020, a year we are all so ready to move on from.
- How just because a new calendar year rolls around doesn’t mean things will change.
- Why we need to shed the “I’ll be happy when…” mindset.
- The definition of 20/20 hindsight and how it relates to the events of this year.
- The gratitude she feels for all the women who have shared their enthusiasm on the show.
- Three difficult steps to take if you are changing your direction in life.
- Why sitting with loss—rather than moving on in a rush—is so important.
- How to make the decision about what’s next after a loss.
- The importance of giving it your all when you have decided on your new path.
- Questions to help you unearth and reflect on what you have gained in this difficult year.
- A reminder that the year is not over and there is still so much to take away from it.
Britt Skrabanek is the self-published fiction author of four novels—Beneath the Satin Gloves, Everything’s Not Bigger, Nola Fran Evie, and Virasana (releasing Winter 2021). She is a content strategist and the co-founder of Superneat Marketing, a long-time blogger, and the host of Love Your Enthusiasm, a self-empowerment podcast that inspires women to pursue their greatest passion. She is also a yogi, ballet dancer, cat mom, and life enthusiast.
Connect with Britt:
Why 2020 Is Absolutely Worth Salvaging
Change Your Life Direction in 3 Difficult Steps
Master Yourself to Master Your Life with Aura Martinez
How to Follow Your Truth with Karen Munna
Believing in Positive Thoughts with Meena Azzollini
Balancing Business and Life with Violette de Ayala
The Beautiful Practice of Forgiveness with Ra Avis
How to Take a Break From Alcohol
Lowering Your Cost of Living